Help Placing Your Dog - Compassionate Surrender Program
Peace of Mind Rescue focuses on two very specific needs in the community – 1) taking senior dogs from shelters and 2) taking in dogs by pre-arrangement with people in the event that they can no longer care for their dog due to illness or death. Click here for more information about our Perpetual Care program.
We also have a Compassionate Surrender Program, which enables us to take in dogs on a space available, case-by-case basis. Priority is given to people who can no longer care for their dogs due to physical or financial limitations, but other scenarios will be considered as well. We do suggest that a tax deductible donation be made to POMDR at the time of intake, but the donation is not a requirement. Once the dog is in our care, we have a life-time commitment to the dog until they find the perfect new home. It is helpful if your dog is altered, up-to-date on vaccines, microchipped, and has had a vet exam within the last 2 months before coming into our program.
We will provide the following for your dog:
- Placement in a foster home until she is adopted.
- High quality dog food.
- Coverage of any medical needs that come up while she is in our care.
- Any necessary training or behavior modification.
- Socialization and companionship.
- A safety net for the lifetime of your dog should she ever need to find a new home at any point in her life.
- Grooming and flea control while she is in our care.
- Screening of potential adopters including home visit and reference check.
- Annual follow ups and home visits to ensure the placement has been successful.
Any donation made will also enable us to rescue senior shelter dogs that may otherwise be euthanized without our help.
Please contact us if you would like to speak with a board member about our Compassionate Surrender Program.
You may also want to consider the free Stay at Home Rescue Program through Animal Friends Rescue Project.